- By the grace of God, in the presence of the delegate of the Superior General, Sister Christina Syrotynsky, ssmi, Provincial Superior, Sister Emily Schietzsch will profess her Final Vows as a Sister Servant of Mary Immaculate, on Saturday, August 10, at St. Josaphat Cathedral. Divine Liturgy 5 pm. Dinner and reception to follow. Your presence and prayers are requested. Dinner tickets are limited. RSVP by email to: [email protected]
- During the month of September, the Eparchy of Edmonton conducts its annual Vocations and Seminary Collection.
“It takes a whole village to raise a child.” It likewise takes the support of the whole Church to form a deacon, priest, religious, monastic and lay member for ministry in the Church. It also takes our support to offer on-going education and formation for those already in sacred orders or involved in lay ministry.
The faithful can acknowledge the role they play in nurturing vocations by offering their financial support to help defray such expenses as formation programs, retreats, conferences, seminars, tuition, books, and room and board.
The collection supports Holy Spirit Seminary, Edmonton; the Basilian House of Studies, Edmonton; the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate Novitiate, Winnipeg; Clergy Study Days; and the Eparchial Diaconal and Lay Ministry Formation Programs;
The collection also assists the Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute of Eastern Christian Studies, Toronto, which serves the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Canada by providing academic and spiritual formation for our future Church leaders.
Studying at Holy Spirit Seminary this year are:
- Subdeacon Cyril Kennedy (Doctoral Studies in Sacred Scripture, Catholic University, Washington, DC);
- Roman Kobyletskyy (Pastoral Internship, Saint Josapaht Cathedral);
- Julian Savaryn (Theology Studies, Newman Theological College, Edmonton)
- Orion Wiebe (Philosophy/Theology Studies, University of Alberta/Newman Theological College, Edmonton)
The suggested donation amount is $25.00 per family.
Thank you for your generosity! May God bless you and your families!
- The Annual Plenary Meeting of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops will take place from September 23-27 in Cornwall, Ontario. Please pray for our bishops that the Holy Spirit may grant them wisdom and guide and bless their episcopal pastoral ministry, at service to the Church and for God’s greater glory.
- The World Day of Migrants and Refugees will be celebrated on September 29. This year’s theme, highlighted in Pope Francis’ Message, is “It is not just about migrants.” With this theme, Pope Francis desires that the plight of migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, and victims of human trafficking remain in our hearts and in our prayers, and are included among our concern for all marginalized people.
The Holy Father’s Message is available at: vatican.va
- The 39th Biannual Conference of the Ukrainian Catholic Council (Centralia) – Eparchy of Edmonton will take place October 18-20, 2019, at Saint Josaphat Cathedral/Chateau Louis Conference Centre, Edmonton. This year’s special guest is Bishop Ken Nowakowski, Eparchy of New Westminster, who will speak to the convention theme of “The Vibrant Parish….. the Next Steps – My Response.” The Ukrainian Catholic Council comprises the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League of Canada, the Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood of Canada, the Ukrainian Catholic Youth of Canada, and the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy Chapter Knights of Columbus. Given that the Convention celebrates the contribution of our lay organizations in the life of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta, for the very first time, representatives of our Parish Pastoral Councils throughout the Eparchy of Edmonton will be invited to participate.
- 2019 Presbyteral Council Meetings: (2:00 – 4:00 pm, Pastoral Centre): October 28. Providence Renewal Centre.
- Clergy Conferences: November 1 (9:00 am – 1:00 pm, Providence Renewal Centre).
- The Eparchy of Edmonton invites you to participate in a Cantoring Course at Saint Josaphat Cathedral, Edmonton, on Friday, October 25 (6-9 pm) and Saturday, October 26 (9 am to 4 pm, concluding with Vespers).
Topics include: the Divine Liturgy, 8 Resurrectional Tones, and various changeable parts for major Feasts. Everything will be covered in English and Ukrainian (including transliteration).
Details to follow.
For more information, contact Dr. Melanie Turgeon at [email protected]
- Annual Clergy Study Days: October 28-31 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton). Led by Dr. Stéphane Saulnier, Newman Theological College (Professor, Head of Scripture, History, Foundations Department, Director of Undergraduate Programs).llege (Professor, Head of Scripture, History, Foundations Department, Director of Undergraduate Programs).
- 2020 Annual Clergy Retreat: May 25-29, 2020 (Sanctum Retreat Centre).
- Eparchial Evangelization Fund for Programming For Youth And Young Families – A Five Year Report (2015-2019).
In 2012, together as laity, religious, monastics and clergy we embarked upon an ambitious 25 Year Pastoral Plan of spiritual renewal within the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta: “Evangelization: A New Springtime – Encountering the Person of Christ; A Call to Action for Parish Renewal”.
As we find ways to implement our Pastoral Plan, we directed our attention to our youth and young families. In response to Pope Francis’ invitation to invest in youth, in 2015 a newly established Youth Evangelization Fund began investing up to $100,000 in youth and young family initiatives across the Eparchy of Edmonton each year over 10 years, totaling $1,000,000!
Investing in Our Future Today. Our young people are worth it!
Now halfway through the project, ninety-three grants have been approved and $314,309.23 has been paid out for youth-targeted projects since 2015. Nineteen parishes/parish districts have successfully applied for grant funding and four parishes/parish districts have not as yet availed themselves of the grants.
For your information: PDF – Five Year Report (2015-2019)
- In partnership with Catholic Health of Alberta and Covenant Health, the Catholic Health Alliance of Canada has released a Health Ethics Guide learning app, available on apple and android devices (phones and tablets).
The app was created especially to help us deepen our understanding of the Health Ethics Guide.
The app features personal interviews of Alliance Governing Council and other leaders in Catholic health care, including key articles, principles, and practical applications of the Guide.
To access the app using an iPhone, navigate from your phone to the App Store and within the search window, search “Health Ethics Guide Module”. You can then download the app by clicking the ‘GET’ icon or the ‘cloud’ icon.
To access the app using an Android device, please click the following link:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.healthethicslearingmodule&hl=en
- At the invitation of Pope Francis, Patriarch Sviatoslav, together with the bishop-members of the Permanent Synod and the metropolitans of the Ukrainian Catholic Church, met with the Holy Father and representatives of the Vatican from July 7-8 in Rome.
Pope Francis’ address to Patriarch Sviatoslav and those with him can be found at:
Photos of the Papal Audience can be found at:
Article, “Pope Francis Meets with Ukrainian Church Leaders over Two Days,” by Metr. Borys Gudziak, Archeparchy of Philadelphia”.
Article, “Два дні зустрічей з Папою Франциском,” by Metr. Borys Gudziak, Archeparchy of Philadelphia:
- “Rosehill Cemetery offers first Green Burials in Edmonton,” by L. Harrison Kelly, Postmedia Conent Works, Edmonton Journal, July 13, 2019:
- Pope Francis proclaimed an Extraordinary Missionary Month to be celebrated October 2019: Baptized and Sent, the Church of Christ on Mission in the World.
The Holy Father invites us to live out each day Jesus’ The Commissioning of the Disciples, where he says, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age. (Matthew 28: 19-20). Pope Francis writes: “May the Extraordinary Missionar Month prove an intense and fruitful occasion of grace, and promote initiatives and above all prayer, the soul of all missionary activity. May it likewise advance the preaching of the Gospel, works of Christian charity, and practical works of cooperation and solidarity between Churches, so that missionary zeal may revive and never be wanting among us.” The Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019 In 2019, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Pope Benedict XV’s Apostolic Letter Maximum Illud, Pope Francis announced the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019. The Theme of the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019 For the Extraordinary Missionary Month, the Holy Father has chosen the theme “Baptized and Sent: The Church of Christ on a Mission in the World.” Awakening the awareness of the missio ad gentes, and reinvigorating the responsibility of proclaiming the Gospel with new enthusiasm, are themes that combine the pastoral concern of Pope Benedict XV in Maximum Illud with the missionary vitality expressed by Pope Francis in the Apostolic Exhortation Evangelii Gaudium: “Missionary action is the paradigm of every work of the Church” (EG 15).
How to Live the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019
There are four dimensions, specified by the Pope, to live more intensely the journey of preparation for the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019:
- A personal encounter with Jesus Christ living in His Church through the Eucharist, the Word of God, personal and communal prayer;
- Testimony: missionary saints, martyrs and confessors of the faith, as an expression of the Church scattered throughout the world;
- Missionary formation: biblical, catechetical, spiritual and theological;
- Missionary charity.
Prayer proposed by Pope Francis for the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019
Heavenly Father, when your only begotten Son Jesus Christ rose from the dead, he commissioned his followers to “go and make disciples of all nations” and you remind us that through our Baptism we are made sharers in the mission of the Church.
Empower us by the gifts of the Holy Spirit to be courageous and zealous in bearing witness to the Gospel, so that the mission entrusted to the Church, which is still very far from completion, may find new and efficacious expressions that bring life and light to the world.
Help us make it possible for all peoples to experience the saving love and mercy of Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, One God, forever and ever.
© 2019 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330