- Pope Francis proclaimed an Extraordinary Missionary Month to be celebrated this October: Baptized and Sent, the Church of Christ on Mission in the World (see below for more details).
To mark the Extraordinary Missionary Month, parishes/parish districts within the Eparchy of Edmonton are invited to celebrate the role families play in passing on the Gospel message to their children and grandchildren. In particular, parishes/parish disctricts are invited to organize during the month of October a special Divine Liturgy – one of the regularly scheduled Sunday Divine Liturgies, or another day – to honour and bless couples who are celebrating their 25th or 50th Wedding Anniversaries (and other significant years). Children and grandchildren are invited to be present on this jubilee occasion with their parents and grandparents. Pastors are asked to include a special petition in the Divine Liturgy for the couples’ intention, and to invite the couples together with their families to come forward at the conclusion of the Divine Liturgy for a special blessing.
Families are indeed missionaries, sharing the Good News of the Gospel with their children.
May Christ bless them abundantly with his love!
- National Catholic Health Care Week is celebrated from October 6-12. This dedicated week provides us with the opportunity to highlight, in a special way, the inspiring work of Catholic health care organizations—such as Covenant Health and Covenant Care and other Catholic organizations and groups that care for the sick and elderly—both in Alberta and across Canada. For ways to celebrate Catholic health care and for parish bulletin inserts and prayer intentions, see attached.
For more information about Catholic health care in Canada or the week, please visit: www.chac.ca or www.passiontoheal.ca.
- Roman Kobyletskyy, Seminarian-Pastoral Intern, will receive the Laying-on of Hands (Ordination) to the Minor Orders and Subdiaconate, by Bishop David, on Saturday, October 12, at the 5:00 pm, Divine Liturgy, Saint Josaphat Cathedral.
- The 39th Biannual Conference of the Ukrainian Catholic Council (Centralia) – Eparchy of Edmonton will take place October 18-20, 2019, at Saint Josaphat Cathedral/Chateau Louis Conference Centre, Edmonton.This year’s special guest is Bishop Ken Nowakowski, Eparchy of New Westminster, who will speak to the convention theme of “The Vibrant Parish….. the Next Steps – My Response.” The Ukrainian Catholic Council comprises the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League of Canada, the Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood of Canada, the Ukrainian Catholic Youth of Canada, and the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy Chapter Knights of Columbus.Given that the Convention celebrates the contribution of our lay organizations in the life of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Alberta, for the very first time, representatives of our Parish Pastoral Councils throughout the Eparchy of Edmonton will be invited to participate.
- CANTORING COURSE – The Eparchy of Edmonton invites you to participate in a Cantoring Course on Friday, October 25 (6:00-9:00 pm); and Saturday, October 26 (9:00 am to 4:00 pm), concluding with Great Vespers at 4:00 pm., at Saint Josaphat Cathedral, Edmonton (10825 – 97th Street). Topics include: The singing of the Divine Liturgy, the Eight Resurrectional Tones (Troparia, Kontakia, Prokeimena, Alleluia with verses), and various changeable parts for Major Feasts, including the festal Irmos.
Everything will be covered in English and Ukrainian (including transliteration). Cost: $40 includes course materials, lunch and snacks.
To register contact the Chancery Office ([email protected]) or (780) 424-5496.
Questions can also be directed to Dr. Melanie Turgeon ([email protected]).
- 2019 Presbyteral Council Meetings: (2:00 – 4:00 pm, Pastoral Centre): October 28. Providence Renewal Centre.
- Clergy Conferences: November 1 (9:00 am – 1:00 pm, Providence Renewal Centre).
- Roman Kobyletskyy, Seminarian-Pastoral Intern, will receive the Laying-on of Hands (Ordination) to the Diaconate, by Bishop David, on Sunday, November 17, at the 10:00 am, Divine Liturgy and Praznyk (Parish Feast Day), Saint Josaphat Cathedral.
- Annual Clergy Study Days: October 28-31 (Providence Renewal Centre, Edmonton). Led by Dr. Stéphane Saulnier, Newman Theological College (Professor, Head of Scripture, History, Foundations Department, Director of Undergraduate Programs).llege (Professor, Head of Scripture, History, Foundations Department, Director of Undergraduate Programs).
- 2020 Annual Clergy Retreat: May 25-29, 2020 (Sanctum Retreat Centre).
- 2021 Annual Clergy Retreat: May 17-21, 2021 (Sanctum Retreat Centre).
- The annual Synod of Bishops of the Ukrainian Catholic Church took place from September 1-10 in Rome. This year’s theme was “Soprychastia (communion) in the Life and Witness of the Ukrainian Catholic Church,” which builds upon Vision 2020 and the Vibrant Parish Spiritual Renewal Program. Pope Francis received the entire Synod of Bishops, an historic moment, in a special papal audience.The Decisions and Communiqué of the 2019 Synod of Bishops, as well as the Post-Synodal Pastoral Letter are avaialbe on our website.
Bishop David, in his capacity as Chair of the Patriarchal Catechetical Commission, issued a Pastoral Letter addressed to Catechists on the occasion of the New Liturgical/Catechetical Year.
The Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue and the World Council of Churches published a join document entitled “Education for Peace in a Multi-Religious World: A Christian Perspective.”
- The Ukrainian Catholic Bishops in Canada appointed Rev. Ephrem Kardouh, bso, Spiritual Director of Holy Spirit Seminary, Edmonton, effective October 1, 2019. Father Ephrem is a Melkite Greek-Catholic priest of the Basilian Salvatorian Order. He holds a Master of Divinity from Saint Pope John XXIII Seminary, Weston, Massachusetts, as well as professional training in Clinical Pastoral Education.
Since 2015, Father Ephrem has served as Pastoral Administrator (Melkite Greek-Catholic) of Saint Basil Parish, Calgary, and Saint Nicholas Parish, Edmonton. At the same time he was Chaplain at Foothills Hospital, Calgary.
Prayer proposed by Pope Francis for the Extraordinary Missionary Month October 2019
Heavenly Father, when your only begotten Son Jesus Christ rose from the dead, he commissioned his followers to “go and make disciples of all nations” and you remind us that through our Baptism we are made sharers in the mission of the Church.
Empower us by the gifts of the Holy Spirit to be courageous and zealous in bearing witness to the Gospel, so that the mission entrusted to the Church, which is still very far from completion, may find new and efficacious expressions that bring life and light to the world.
Help us make it possible for all peoples to experience the saving love and mercy of Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, One God, forever and ever.
© 2019 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330