- Clergy Conferences: November 1 (9:00 am – 1:00 pm, Providence Renewal Centre).
- Catholic Education Sunday is celebrated on Sunday, November 3. The Catholic Bishops of Alberta and the Northwest Territories issued a Message on the occasion, “United in Prayer and Grateful for Catholic Schools”.
- Roman Kobyletskyy, Seminarian-Pastoral Intern, will receive the Laying-on of Hands (Ordination) to the Diaconate, by Bishop David, on Sunday, November 17, at the 10:00 am, Divine Liturgy and Praznyk (Parish Feast Day), Saint Josaphat Cathedral.
- The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, through its Commission for Justice and Peace, issued a statement entitled Poverty in Canada: Ensuring Safe, Secure and Affordable Housing.The statement provides a brief overview of the state of poverty in our country, with a focus on the current housing crisis, and also provides a helpful list of some key Catholic organizations engaged in the alleviation of poverty in Canada. The statement also calls for collaboration between charitable organizations, all levels of government, and dioceses/eparchies, as well as local parishes, in the effort to provide charitable assistance to individuals who are in need.
This statement is being issued on the occasion of the Third World Day of the Poor, marked on November 17.
- Red Wednesday, which seeks to raise awareness about the persecution experienced by some 327 million Christians worldwide, will be marked on November 20.Aid to the Church in Need Canada, promoter of Red Wednesday, reminds us that the situation of oppressed and persecuted Christinas, serves not only as a reminder of discrimination and persecution involving members of other religions too, but also the erosion of and attacks against freedom of conscience and religion in the Western world, including Canada.
On Red Wednesday, we can draw attention to the plighf of persecuted Christians by: illuminating a church with red light; organize a Divine Liturgy to pray for persecuted Christians; organize a vigil or a moment of prayer; pray a rosary; invite people to wear red, etc.
For more information, visit https://acn-canada.org/red-wednesday/.
- The Tenth Annual Bishop’s Gala will take place on Tuesday, December 3 at the Chateau Louis Hotel and Conference Centre, beginning with a cocktail reception and silent auction at 6:00 pm, followed by dinner and an exciting live auction.This festive gala raises funds to support the operation and programming of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Edmonton.
Tickets are $180 each or $1440 per table of eight. A charitable tax receipt for $85 will be issued per ticket. Contact the Pastoral Centre to purchase tickets: 780 424 5496 or [email protected].
- The Annual Bishop’s Appeal Collection “What Gift Have I, Worthy of a King?” takes place on Sunday, December 8. The Appeal coincides with the Feast of Saint Nicholas, the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Myra. Saint Nicholas is uniquely tied to Christmas, the celebration of Jesus’ birth. Early stories about Saint Nicholas carry with them the Nativity themes of love and justice. He is characterized as a generous and pious servant of God, caring for children and families, and providing gifts for their spiritual and physical well-being.And that’s what the Ukrainian Catholic Church is all about. Caring and providing for the faithful throughout the Province of Alberta.
Help Bishop David in spreading the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ by supporting our Eparchial ministries and offices, including: Youth Ministry, Family Life Ministries, Religious Education, Liturgy Office, Vocations, Ecumenism, Social Outreach, and Marriage Tribunal.
With Christmas on our doorstep, one of the holiest times of the year, and in the spirit of Saint Nicholas, what gift do you bring now to the infant Jesus, who lays quietly and peacefully in a manger?
Thank you for your generosity! May God bless you and your families!
- The National Day of Prayer in Solidarity with Indigenous Peoples will be celebrated on December 12, the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe (Latin calendar), Patroness of the Americas.In view of this day of prayer, please find attached the 2019 Message for the National Day of Prayer in Solidarity with Indigenous Peoples, with the theme Year of Indigenous Language (as declared by the United Nations).
- 2020 Annual Clergy Retreat: May 25-29, 2020 (Sanctum Retreat Centre). Retreat Master – Very Rev. Gabriel Haber, osbm, Provincial Superior, Order of Saint Bastil the Great.
- 2021 Annual Clergy Retreat: May 17-21, 2021 (Sanctum Retreat Centre).
- The 52nd International Eucharistic Congress will take place from September 13-20, 2020, in Budapest, Hungary.
R. Aubert, in his article “Eucharistic congresses from Leo XIII to Paul VI,” provides an overview and context for the Eucharistic Congresses. He writes: “In the middle of the 19th century in the European countries, and especially in France initiatives aiming the fostering of the respect for the Eucharist started to develop at an extraordinary pace. This kind of renewal of the Eucharistic spirituality, as a counterreaction to the social changes which followed the failure of Jansenist austerity and the Ancien Régime, and the Industrial Revolution, placed at the core the eucharistic adoration and the reconciliation with Jesus Christ, the God hidden in the Eucharist, who was ‘dishonoured by the pridefuls and ignored by the holders of public authority, who set up the secularisation of the society as their goal’” (Concilium 1, 1960, p. 118). Pope Francis’ prayer for the Eucharistic Congress:
- Heavenly Father, source of all life!
Send us your Holy Spirit, that we may recognizeand grow in the love of Christ present in the Eucharist,who handed himself over for us!
He is our Lord and our Master, our friend and our food,our healer and our peace.
Give us the courage to take his strengthand his joy to every person!
Grant us, that the time of the preparation and the celebrationof the Eucharistic Congress
would serve the spiritual renewal of our community, cities, nation, Europe and the world!
Amen. For more information, visit www.iec2020.hu.
- Heavenly Father, source of all life!
- Patriarch Sviatoslav and the Synod of Bishops issued a Pastoral Letter on protecting minors and vulnerable persons, entitled Regarding Safeguarding from Various Incidents of Violence toward Children, Handicapped, and Vulnerable People.
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Circle issued an open letter to all Canadians, entitled “Message of support from Our Lady of Guadalupe Circle on the occasion of the UN 2019 Year of Indigenous Language.”This open letter affirms the major significance of language in the revitalization of Indigenous cultures and expresses a commitment to finding ways to support this vital aspect of reconciliation.
The open letter, as well as a video prepared to highlight the message, is available on Our Lady of Guadalupe Circle’s website at https://ourladyofguadalupecircle.ca/.
- The 2019 Triannual Congress of the Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League in Canada elected the following slate: Bishop David Motiuk, Spiritual Advisor
Barbara Hlus, President
Sr. Anne Pidskalny, ssmi, Co-Spiritual Advisor
Marusia Barszczyk, Past President
Barbara Olynyk, Vice President
Theresa Hlus, Recording Secretary
Lidia Nykyforuk, Corresponding Secretary
Luba Kowalchyk Hlm, Treasurer
Teresa Makowecki, Constitution/Legislation and Bylaws Committee
Marlene Bodnar, Constitution Secretary
At the 2019 Conventon of the Ukrainian Catholic Council – Eparchy of Edmonton (Centralia), the following were elected for the term 2019 – 2021:
Ukrainian Catholic Council (Centralia) – Eparchy of Edmonton
Greg Warwa, President (Saint Josaphat Cathedral)
Doug Rezewski, Vice-President (Exaltation of the Holy Cross Parish, Edmonton)
Jerry Dubyk, Recording Secretary (Saint Basil Parish, Edmonton)
Joe Danko, Treasurer (Saint Josaphat Cathedral)
Olga Hlus, Emeritus President (Saint Basil Parish, Edmonton)
Mary Ann Phillips, UCWLC
Joe Synyshyn, UCBC
Kerry Boyko, EECKC
Millie Schietzsch, UCYC
Ukrainian Catholic Women’s League
Spiritual Advisor: Very Rev. Janko Herbut
President – Mary Ann Phillips
Past President – Joyce Chrunik-Rudiak
Vice President – Barbara Olynyk
Vice President – Lydia Migus
Recording Secretary – Theresa Hlus
Corresponding Secretary – Virginia Sharek
Ukrainian Corresponding Secretary – Lilea Wolanska
Treasurer – Shirley Rudnitski, HLM
Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood of Canada
Rev. Danylo Kuc, Spiritual Advisor
Orest Boychuk, President
Darrell Holowaychuk, Vice-President
Marco Levytsky, Secretary
Michael Lewyta, Treasurer
Knights of Columbus, Eparchy of Edmonton Chapter (elected earlier this year)
President – Kerry Boyko
Vice President – Greg Warwa
Secretary – Darrell Uchach
Treasurer – Jerry Dubyk
Past President – Morris Chichak
© 2019 Eparchy of Edmonton
9645 – 108 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5H 1A3
Tel: (780) 424-5496 Fax: (780) 425-2330